3.11.2009

Find! Flea market hutch

It's finished! The hutch that Linda and I found (for $100) last fall at the Roscoe Antique Mall in South Beloit has finally been restored. (And I can check a major project off of my "to do" list!)

To the left here, you see a photo of the finished hutch, which is providing much-needed extra storage in my living room.

Below is the "before" shot...

I spent less than $100 refinishing this piece, spending most of the money on a large piece of beadboard (for the upper back), and a nice piece of trim for the top. I also bought new hardware, paint, glaze and a polyurethane topcoat. Total price for the hutch: $200. (When we were shopping, the best deal we saw was about $400, and most were priced at $600 and up.)

The glaze (above), which was recommended by Linda, really makes this paint job "pop." In my mind, it's the difference between a professional finish and an amateur one. Once I got the blue-green paint on, the hutch looked clean and fresh, but really plain. This glaze was easy to apply (just paint on and rub off), and it got into all the nooks and crannies of the beadboard and the egg & dart trim. I would recommend it to anyone looking to add depth and interest to painted furniture.

The closer image (to the right) shows the egg & dart detail on the edges of the shelves that made this hutch stand out as having potential (despite its ugly hardware and cheap metal shelving).