3.28.2009

Celebration: Baby Shower


Buzz is Having a Baby Bee!

With a nickname like "Buzz," the theme for this shower was pretty easy. (Plus, she registered for tons of cute Pooh stuff, and there are lots of bees in the prints.) I looove throwing parties, and this one was extra special because Buzz is such a dear friend.



The cupcakes with edible frosting bees were my favorite touch. Just buy ready-to-use fondant from a bakery supply store and work with it like play-doh. I used toothpicks dipped in decorator gel for the eyes; a straw (tilted at an angle) for the smiles, and added stripes. The wings are almond slices. Here are my bees in progress.



And a few more photos of the party decorations. (That's a baby picture of Buzz.) I stuck with the colors green, pale yellow, brown and lots of white. I stumbled on the adorable 3D bee stickers and searched out the tiny wired bees in the floral section of a craft store.

The party decorations doubled as gifts for my friend: a diaper cake, a basket of wrapped baby items that we used for a guessing game, and some framed baby pictures of the mommy-and-daddy-to-be.


I also found an old yellow ceramic jar at an antique store and spelled "HUNNY" on it, Pooh-style. A small bunch of balloons, the cute cupcakes, and an enticing spread of munchies was all it took to round out this special party. Well, that and a houseful of wonderful guests!


I started with Martha Stewart scrapbooking papers in coordinated colors and prints. I used the same papers for handmade invitations, party favors and prize bags. I also (finally!) splurged on a couple of decorative punches, which made the job of creating 20+ of everything much easier... and more symmetrical.